Status: Regular, Full time, employee
Pay: $36k - 42k (DOQ)
Reports to: Superintendent
Benefits: Full Benefits eligible, Parking and Amenities
Retirement: Georgia State Employee Retirement System
Closing Date: 4:00pm December 20, 2017 *Note: This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified
Jekyll Island is dedicated to maintaining the delicate balance between nature and humankind through conservation, education, and preservation. Surrounded by salt marshes, expansive oceanfront, and ancient maritime forests, it is situated within the chain of the Golden Isles, and just a few miles from St. Simons Island, Sea Island and Brunswick. As a State Park, Jekyll Island is a coastal haven where nature and humans peacefully co-exist.
Under general direction and guidelines from the Superintendent, the Assistant Superintendent assists in all areas of golf course maintenance. Daily responsibilities include planning, assigning, directing of staff, and assisting in the operation of turf maintenance and irrigation systems.
* Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, reviews and reports employee concerns and issues, including disciplinary and performance evaluations with the Superintendent. Plans, assigns, and directs work assignments for staff.
* Assists the Superintendent in the maintenance of the golf courses, including greens, fairways, tees, bunkers, roughs, etc., including daily inspections of golf courses, clubhouse grounds, and driving range, identifying problems and reporting to the Superintendent.
* Prepares and coordinates with Superintendent for overall golf course maintenance plan to ensure cohesive delivery of quality outcomes.
* Ensures sprinkler heads are in good working order by performing daily inspections, determining necessary when repairs or replacements are needed.
* When necessary performs duties of other golf course maintenance staff members, including coverage for the Superintendent.
* Enforces rules, regulations, and policies as mandated by the Authority; observes and abides by the laws and regulations mandated by the EPA, EPD, and OSHA agencies.
* Ensures employees perform their job duties in a safe manner to prevent the likelihood of injury to self, other employees, and/or island guests. Maintains safety records for department.
* Determines whether the golf courses are playable per inclement weather.
* Attends staff meetings and additional training as required or requested.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* High school diploma or equivalent required. 2 or 4 year degree in Turfgrass Management or related field preferred.
* Minimum of 3 - 5 years' experience in golf course maintenance required with prior supervisory experience preferred.
* May consider any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
* Must possess a category 24 pesticide license.
* Valid driver's license required.
* Excellent communication and organizational skills.
* Attention to detail, great attitude and passion for golf course maintenance.
* Flexible schedule, including early mornings, weekends, and holidays is required.
* Regular and predictable attendance and punctuality required.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
* Exert in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
* More than 50% of the typical work day will be spent stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting and repetitive motions of the wrists, hands and fingers.
* Between 25% and 50% of the typical work day will be spent balancing, standing and walking.
* Less than 25% of the typical work day will be spent climbing, balancing and sitting.
* Sensory abilities required are feeling, grasping and touching with more than 50% of the time spent talking and hearing.
* Visual abilities to perform tasks required are preparing and analyzing data and figures, use of the computer, expansive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and operation of machines; using measuring devices and assembly of fabrication of parts at distances close to the eyes.
* Required to perform work both inside and outside. Exposure to extreme heat, high humidity and occasionally adverse weather conditions as well occasional extreme cold.
* Will be exposed to hazards such as moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, exposure to chemicals and subject to vibration.
* May be subjected to atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, or poor ventilation.
* Noise levels are considered normal to loud
* Frequently work in close quarters, crawl space and shafts.
This description of job responsibilities is intended to reflect the major responsibilities and duties of the job, but is not intended to describe minor duties or other responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time.
This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified. Applicants who complete the online application process will receive an email receipt of submission to the email address provided. If email confirmation is not received, applicant may contact Human Resources at for confirmation, however, due to the volume of applicants received, we are unable to provide information on application status after receipt.
All qualified applicants will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Incomplete applications or applications without accompanying documents when required will not be considered. Selected applicants will be contacted for the next steps in the selection process. Relocation expenses are not authorized, applicants should consider this when applying.
Jekyll Island Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Authority supports equal employment opportunities for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.